Draft Cycle Works

Friday, May 24, 2013

Making a Chopper King/Queen seat from scratch!

I wanted to take a minute and do an article on making a king queen seat for a chopper. This is incomplete as the seat isnt finished yet, but this is the first part of it anyway.

First I made the seat pan out of 16g steel. Rolled the center section to match the fender...about a 14.5" radius, then cut the front and rear sections and tacked them on.
then I cut the side panels and tacked one on..and added a 1/2" rod in the back for support.
next came the internal stash tube made of stainless to cut down on rust. There is a threaded rod inside for threading the cover on. I also welded in some 5/16-18 nuts in the bottom with holes drilled for mounting.
then I rolled the seat pan insert and tacked that in...
with the cover...and all welded up and sanded smooth..
..
test fit to the frame and sissy bar that I also made...(that's another blog entry later)
all good...now for foam. I first started with the 160lb foam at 1" for the main base of each seat..
added in some wedges for the transitions..
next comes the layer of 60lb foam for the back of each seat and over the 160lb for some cushion..this is for the passenger back...cut a relief out for the 1/2" rod so there isn't a bulge in the back rest.
60lb on the rest...
edges are trimmed with a knife and shaved with a die grinder..

ok guys...that's all I have at the moment til I get some more foam adhesive (ran out)...next will be the final layer of 35lb foam for that super soft feel...and then a whole 'nother entry on doing the upholstery for the seat...

6 comments:

  1. Killer info man, just what I was looking for as I attempt my first high back king and queen seat. Ill keep checking back to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The seat is great! I'd love to see the rest of the seat finished. Where dis you get your foam? I can't find 160lb or 60lb foam. It's all listed as single lb #.

    ReplyDelete
  3. id like to see the finished seat as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello, you have complete this saddle , manufacturing is superb thank you very much for putting all those photos , I am French and it is very dificult to find this type of information , my English is bad desoler .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish you could explain how you rolled the center section for fender, if done without machinery.
    Thanks & great job man!

    ReplyDelete