Draft Cycle Works

Monday, June 3, 2013

Rock Flute Dyna 2000 Ignition Install

Now that the engine is together and I've run it a bit with the stock points, I'm going to throw on the Dyna 2000 and minicoils.  Most of my electronics are under the gas tanks so any mods will be relatively hidden. 

Here's the coil placement.  I noticed that the suppression core wire kit I bought from Dyna does not come with the proper terminals for the minicoils, so I hacked the plug end of my old wires off and used them.


I love wiring.  It's very relaxing.  Unfortunately I dont like modifying an existing wiring harness as much as building a new one.  The area under my gas tank is already cramped and adding the 6 extra wires for the D2K is making things messy.  To alleviate some of the confusion that can arise from a mad cluster of wires I put some sexy labels under clear shrink tube.  Mmmmm,.  The goal is to keep visible wiring to an absolute minimum.

Below is my completed hot mess.  The coil wires will leave out the front of the gas tank under the backbone.  I added a stonger starter button as well.... It's in that mess to the right.


Next I had to find somewhere to hide the giant 3" by 5" by 1" ignition module.  It wasnt going to fit under the tank and there isnt really anywhere else to stuff it.  I didnt want some blue anodized piece of modern technology hanging off of a weird throwback bike so I made a little leather bag out of some scrap.  The back side of the ignition module has 4 small screws that I replaced with studs.  I used the studs to mount it to the battery box.  I can access the controls and plug in the curve maker harness through the bag.  After some weather, I think it will blend in nicely. 


50 cents of leather covering a $400 digital ignition module.  Tadaaaa!


Here's a finished Rock Flute.  You cant see any more wires than before.  The chianti box is reinforced with 1/8" plate 5051 aluminum and 304 SS tubing, top end is rebuilt, new ignition is hidden in plain sight.  The new air filters are a snug fit.  Just a few more things to do.  Engine break-in, carb tuning, brake adjustment, new kickstand tab, and more tuning.



Time to go for a spin.  WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment